Wednesday, September 17, 2008

things part I

dear readers,

a few posts ago i mentioned that i am obsessed with your lovely compliments. i also mentioned that i was vain, thus you can see how said compliments complete me. i also contemplated that i needed to formulate some kind of reward, so here goes: some of my favorite things as of late. kinda lame i know, but hey! "take what ya get" i always say. so i'm giving you a nice virtual package all wrapped up special. like this:








thank-you people, your compliments have filled my cup.


#1. Quinoa: this tender little morsel of whole grain has given me a new way to eat my salad. I need vinegar in my life people, if i can't have lots of mayo, i must supliment with various vinegrettes. here's the tasty recipe. you can find quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) in the bulk bins at big grocery stores.

1 c. quinoa
1c. water

1 diced cucumber seeds removed ( I love english ones)
1 c. grape tomatoes
1/2 c chopped flat leaf parsley
1/2 c. each of yellow red and orange peppers (buy them people it's cheaper than ice cream)
diced
various other diced delicious veggies of your chosing

1/4 c. red wine vinegar
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
1/4 c. dijon mustard
3 T. lime juice
1 T. honey
1/3 c extra virgin olive oil

first cook quinoa in water just like you would rice. next mix together all ingredients for vinegrette saving oil for last. slowly incoporate oil to dressing. add veggies to cooked quinoa, poor on vinegrette. add a dash salt and pepper. eat.




#2. i found this paper at the shabby princess, i really want my background to be this sheet of lovely orange but lack the skills, and the desire to learn how to make it happen. like i don't have enough to do.



#3. is really about "Breaking Dawn" i am sure many of you are gearing up for a good ole vampire edition of book club, (come on, we're mormon women, we read about edward, attend play groups, book clubs, blog, and shop at down east basics, just accept it and move foreward) so i have come up with these ab fab chocolate cookies that you can bring to said book group discussion. they are called bella cookies because they are so good you'll feel what edward has felt, you'll want to eat them and make out with them simultaneously. they are only complete however, f you use dark chocolate powder, my new discovery and i ain't lookin back folks. i already have it in my food storage, (remember acceptance)

Dark chocolate "bella" cookies

1 c. roomtemp unsalted butter

1 c. sugar

1c. brown sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp baking soad

1tsp. baking powder

1tsp salt

2 c. flour

1 c. dark chocolate cocoa powder

1/2 pkg semisweet chocolate morsels

1/2 pkg white chocolate chips

cream butter and sugar and eggs add dry ingredients and stir just to combine, bake for 9 minutes at 375.

#4. Finnegan boots by Robin Faryl

I have searched high and low, but nay they are all sold out. i found them at 50% off in a size ten. they still cost 160$ niether of which work for me.

#6. Brian Regan. he is hilarious, his show is on comedy central this week, you must tivo, he's so clean you could play it for an enrichment activity. he has this swagger at the end of his jokes that kills me. honestly if ya need a laugh tune in. also google his past stuff, he eats fig newtons by the sleeve.



and there you are people, but that's not all folks. part II coming soon.

26 comments:

Strupp Family said...

Phew, I was beginning to wonder where you've gone. You started moving down my list of "recent bloggers". Then I look and see you've posted more recently than me :) I do need to keep up. I definitely don't have the fan base that you do, though--therefore, I feel no need to post every other day.

Anyway, love the suggestions, love those boots, will try your dang cookies...I'm not sure about the quinoa--or however you spell it, but maybe if I'm feeling adventurous one day.

Glad there's more to come.

prism said...

Thanks, Mags. I always like to read things about people - their favorite things, random quirks, etc.

I'm glad you like quinoa - it's good. I've made it a couple of times. The kids will eat it, but they think it's a little weird.

Please tell me if you find any boots that lace up the back (real leather, because the other stuff doesn't breathe!). Need new boots!

Love Brian Regan - saw him on the 6th in the Louisville Palace - cried my eyes out (with laughter, of course).

Keep-a-goin! Love ya lots.

Aundrea said...

I love how you wrapped everything up nice 'n' pretty! I will have to check out Regan, I haven't heard of him before. Excited for part deux!

Jenny said...

Great Maggie! Thanks for sharing your favorite things! You have great taste!

If you want, I will design your blog for you using that paper. I spend too much time on the computer, so I might as well do something useful. I've done it lots, so it's pretty easy. Call me or email me!

annelisa said...

Thanks for sharing some of your loves! I can't wait to see you all next week! Maybe you can make that Quinoa salad while I am there!

mags said...

annalisa- i will
jenny- please do!

King Family said...

love Quinoa it is a favorite as are all the others of course BUT i don't like Brian Regans delivery...i can only listen to him-take luck!

Angie said...

Hey Mags! 5 more reasons that I miss you! LOVE those boots, and yes, I almost pee my pants watching Brian Regan too. Hey...tell Annelisa hello for me! I would love to read her blog too, but it is private...hmmm. Thanks for the day brightener!

Kritta22 said...

I love reading about the things that you love! Cuz I love most of them too!! I'm soo excited for Dec book club!!

Nicole said...

That was awesome Maggie. Obsessed with Twilight huh? I didn't know. You should have a look at my blog and see where I went this last spring.

*heads off to go look for darkchocolate baking powder...*

~Nicole

Story Family said...

Maggie, you are FANTASTIC! I love your favorite things and can't wait to try those recipes. Especially the Bella Cookies. That little paragraph was great. Funny because it's true.

mags said...

a BIG shout out to my sister in law Jenny who changed my layout to include that fabulous paper! doesn't it look so cheery!
Thank-you thank-you thank-you!!

Jamie said...

you've done it once again....i can always count on you for some great humor! love the bella cookies....actually loved what you said about us mormon women the best....every bit of it is true. (i have currently joined the edward fan club...just finished #4)

Eardley Fam said...

Okay Mags, so can we be like BFF's or something b/c like all your favorites are like mine too!! Haha!!
Quinoa-love it but love the recipe more, dark chocolate-obsession of mine for years, boots-can't get enough of those,Brian Regan is the best thing that has happened since sliced bread. Wish we could all watch it together. Looking forward to part 2!

Melinda said...

I love the new blog background. Orange is such a happy color. Can't wait to check out Brian Regan and try Bella's cookies (the couscous salad will have to wait until my nausea ends!) Have fun with my parents this week and give your family a squeeze from us.

Emilee said...

Mags!! That's all I wanted to say.

Strupp Family said...

OK, so I was in the video store the other day (Trevor was on a campout--that means I get to chose whatever I want, as long as he doesn't want to see it too.) I just happened to see a Brian Regan video as I was walking by the comedy section. I thought: What a coincidence (sp?)--I just read about him on Maggie's blog. So, I got it. I have to agree with King Family though. His delivery is a little weird for me. He was always sauntering around the stage. It was a distraction. But I did laugh so hard I cried at a Dora the Explorer joke. So, it was worth the money and time spent watching the video. Anyway, don't worry, not delivering on post. Thanks to you...and some other good stories I've heard since then.

Strupp Family said...

Do you also like getting 3 comments from one person? Um...the real reason I commented on that last one was to tell you THANK YOU!! I got the thumb tacks and I am totally excited. They are WAY cute and I feel guilty about making you give me my prize. But I love them, so it makes me feel a little less guilty :) THANKS AGAIN!!

tris said...

I need more recipes from mags...where do you get yours? I have to tell you though...I loathe all thing twilight...sorry mormon gals.

Nicole said...

Do you remember when you asked me once what color I would like most to decorate my kitchen and I said any color but orange? I don't think that I will decorate it orange, but I am warming up to the color. It is super cheery and happy. There is a young man in our ward who does a perfect impression of Brian Regan. It made Jeff and I laugh so hard, but not as hard as the real thing of course. :)

Millie @ The Busy Butlers said...

Oh man, I haven't laughed so hard in a long time! Didn't realize how much I miss you until I saw your blog. It's great!

Shannon said...

I gotta try those bella cookies!

Emilee said...

I just reread my comment, and am embarrassed by my poor sleep-deprived mind. I think I just wanted to acknowledge that I liked reading your post. Instead, it comes across like some crazy-Sunbeam-in-sacrament-inappropriate-shoutout. Sorry.

Abby said...

#1 will have to try the quinoa. I'm WANTING to like it, as I love the mayo in life way too much.

#2 love the orange paper - in fact, I have that paper, a physical piece anyway. It's by Pink Paislee and we just included it in our Sept Dream Kit over at SLD! lol totally digging the same thing right now....

#3 team Edward + cookies = heartthrob overload!!

#4 boots are tight! but money is tighter! lol

#5 I know not of your B.Regan. Making note to self...

love the list! :-)

Susanne said...

Holy crap girl you are so hillarious. I too am obsessed with Project Runway, and miss sass-a-fras should be gone by now! Also, Brian Reagan Rocks. We watched the comedy central bit and I've also seen him live. I think I peed a little:) You live in such a beautiful place....too bad it's so far! Thanks for your great blog. It makes life fun

Susanne said...

oh ya, and the boots are to die for...but $160 yikes my hubby is a cop ya know

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...