Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Emotional Rambo

Remember my annoying rug? i'm still working on it. Last night i decided to put my nose to the grindstone and crank it out. i had just checked on all the kids, they were sleeping and austin and fallen asleep in Quinton's bedroom. went back down stairs to finish BBC Persuasion and get this stinkin' rug on the floor and outta my hair. So Persuasion ends and i'm flippin' channels and i hear some noises. with mike gone, and uncle gunther on a date, i am missing that he-man bulk. you know, that decidedly masculine quality that makes scary noises mere explainable trifles, and the lack there-of turns the trifles into insurmountable hurdles. so i'm trying not to freak out, and i decide maybe a wayward moose is just trying to mate with my outside wall. austin's room has a good view of the source of the noise, so i go upstairs and peak between the blinds warily. nothing. no moose, or big hairy bad guys. i'm beginning to shrug it off when i hear the unmistakable sound of a door closing. i try to be cool and calm, but someone is coming up the stairs, slowly and then more rapidly and then that darn feminine hysteria takes over and i shout, "whose in my house!" ...........
......just as poor little austin rounds the corner of the stairs, hear's my crazed shouting, bursts into tears and runs to me certain that hairy bad guys are chasing him up the stairs. I feel two things. his heart beating so fast it could burst, and total relief that the insurmoutable hurdle, is merely an explainable trifle. austin had to pee, and i hadn't noticed because of that increasingly pain in the bum rug. and i scared my 7 year old nearly to death. high-five maggie.

All of this has got me thinking. my best friend and i had a mantra in high school. it is as follows: men are good for 2 things: manual labor, and kissing.
I've learned since then to add more to the list. (although the kissing, and manual labor thing were dead on) I've mentioned before how i never cry. it's one reason i love the olympics, because when i'm frustrated after months of not being able to expell all the stress and frustration of life into palpable watery manifestations, i can count on sports battles and national pride to get the water works going. seriously no matter what, i'm teary during the anthems.
but since my man has been in Iraq, crying is a daily thing. or maybe i should say tears are a daily thing. And i've figured out after 10 years that not only do i need and relish mikes big protective muscles, but he's also my personal, Emotional Rambo. His easy going manner carries me through all the puke, and the 9 year old with attitude, and the 7 year old who is as slow as cold tar, and the little girl who can make a mess like a professional hoarder, and a sweet little toddler with a concussion. He takes all of that weight and says something like, "well, we can either laugh or cry!" who can argue with that. he flattens emotional rollercoasters' with his proverbial giant clown foot.
I can't wait until my big, muscley, hairy, and clown footed friend gets back.

17 comments:

Kirsten said...

Aww Maggie I can't wait for your Rambo to come back too!

King Family said...

its the boyle in us that doesn't let us cry at rational things. does your neck swell when you get emotional? mine does. hang in there....:)

Emilee said...

I still think we were dead on with the two things. But I'm afraid I'm loosening up and I agree that they might be good for more than that as well. Nice tribute to Rambo.

Jenny said...

It was kind of funny that as I was reading about Austin sneaking out of his room, Jack had just gotten out of his bed and was quietly hiding in the living room. Anyway...you're a great mom. I don't think I'd be so good at it if I were on my own w/the kids.

Lauren said...

yeah, i've said "you can either laugh or cry about it" too since hearing your talk at church a couple weeks ago....and it really helps. you're doing a great job training your small rambos that are home.

KT said...

You are so brave! How long is his tour?

Scott and Haley said...

Mags you are my hero! Truely. My teary outlet is extreme home makeovers. When the family get their new house I can't hold back the tears. I don't know if it is I am so happy for them or I wish I had a house like that! Don't get me wrog....I love my green shag.

Lisa said...

I appreciated reading your post today as we are trying frantically to move into our new home and vacate/clean our old home for the new owners. My own Maggie has the worst case of rotovirus we have ever seen and is also vomiting. It's been really fun. And I am sure it's all very contagious, too. I guess I will just laugh about it. The timing of it all is awfully funny.

Team Burtenshaw said...

Just so you know, you are truly one of my heroines...I love strong and courageous girls who do amazing things - ie YOU!

Nicole said...

Todd's traveling alot now in his job. And while its no where near what you are going through now...the bumps in the night I can SOOO totally relate to!

Shannon said...

Oh Mags, you really should write a book! I got teary eyed and laughed my head off all in one minute.

Unknown said...

Forget the Olympics... reading your blog makes me cry.

Unknown said...

Forget the Olympics... reading your blog is what makes me cry. Gunther

Eardley Fam said...

Maggie your way with words never ceases to amaze me. Hang in there! Even though tears are flowing more often the laughter will always come out more with you!

Mary Monster Mary said...

Oh Yeah! How Dare Uncle Gunther go on a date and leave you alone. I'm a bit ticked at that myself. Glad you're all safe though. It's all a matter of time and it will come. Call me if you need anything.

Melinda said...

I hear ya Mags! My husband isn't across the ocean, but I haven't seen nearly enough of him for the last year and I have felt the loss. Hang in there, you trooper!
I have long dreamed of having 5 men. Just one husband, but I'd like to have four other men for the manual labor, and one man (my husband) for the rest of the stuff. Wouldn't that be great?

Lori said...

Mags! I'm slow reading your blog, but can I just tell you it makes me not feel like such a wimp! When my mike was gone I heard something on the patio and I was on the couch by the window,so I slid onto the floor,crawled to the phone and made my bro in law come over and check it out,knowing full well the entire time that it was only the wind! I just couldn't convince my over active girl brain that it was nothing to be afraid of :)i think my bro in law came over about 6 times during Mike's deployment and once my mommy even came and slept over with me...hate it when the muscles are gone..HATE it! (sigh) hang in there mags, and in the mean time,laugh and cry, cause I think both are equally theraputic, love ya!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...