Friday, June 12, 2009

I beat some ladies with oxygen tanks

Do you ever wonder where old people go to party? I mean teenagers go to Florida for spring break and people with marital problems go to las vegas, (ouch, that was harsh. don't we ALL have marital problems?) so what about old people?

On our 10 day road trip from Oklahoma to Alaska, we discovered the answer to that question. the great north is filled to overflowing with the old and wrinkly. they love it. just think.... when you are old and tired and weary, wouldn't you just want a fantastic scenic drive? Mountains, and glaciers and mtn sheep, and black bears and moose and all that jazz? So they come, geriatric bodies attached to sparkling eyes still filled with youthful zeal. and they stay, cause the lifestyle suits them, and they even start getting healthy, they eat blueberries and salmon and walk miles and miles on anchorages many trails, and then they even start to run. you'd be surprised at how far you can go when you really turn up the oxygen on those tanks. 5 miles is nothin'.

So I hear about this race being run at a golf course not far from my house and i think, "that would be a fun alternative to my usual saturdee (old people say saturdee, not saturday) run." the night before, i'm thinking, "i'll never sleep if i race tommorrow, i'll be running slo-mo in my dreams all night, i'm just gonna sleep in." but i slept great and woke-up early and what the hay, decided i'd just head on up there all by myself (not reccommended i was extremely lonely and missing my running champ sisters.) and run a race. so i get there and realize that the first 2.5 miles is STRAIGHT UP a MOUNTAIN!!! But i'm not afraid of hills (well now i am) so i paid my fee (which did not include a shirt, boo) and waited around all by my lonesome for the start. This winnebago was parked near the race start touting a man with one leg who had run the race every year for 30 years!! he had on an awesome running fake leg and it was all so inspiring i lost a little of my precious tear fluids before we even started. so i chugged up the hill (i think a little of me died on that hill) and when i turned around splashed myself with my glass of water and then let gravity take me down the mountain. I passed all the geriatric runners on my way down and they were shouting encouraging things and i get to the old guy with one leg and he walks over to me (he's walking at this point, wait no, he's hiking) and he says, "there's one girl in front of you, she's tired catch her." so i did. and i won. and before you get all excited for me, like i'm really awesome, just remember that i beat 4 women my age, and 25 women who are members of the over 60 hiking clubs and you'll know that if i had done worse, it would have been comical. so now i have two plastic trophies, two swollen knees, one appointment to see an orthopedist, and a desire to retire in alaska so i can one day join the over 60 hiking club. i may need a metal knee, but at least my eyes will still have that youthful sparkle.

22 comments:

Adri said...

Way to go, Mags! I'm glad your post was about a race, because in my it's-11:30-and-WAY-past-my-bedtime frame of mind, I read your title and was worried that you were beating up old ladies with their own oxygen tanks! Not that I thought that was particularly in your character or anything. Yeah...gotta get to bed!

Mary Monster Mary said...

You are way too cool for me. As Mike wants to return here for our summers when we retire we'll cheer you on. :) We could be a water stop or something.

Loved this post. A great story to tell.

prism said...

Wow, Mags! Cool! At least you run races. I still haven't committed myself to that yet.

Love ya lots!

Story Family said...

Look at those trophies!! That must have been more of a race than you're letting on to have those kinds of trophies as prizes. I'll bet your kids have already proudly displayed them on the mantle.

That was hilarious, by the way. I'm still chuckling. Did you read Em's post about her race? What's up with all you cute little runners??!

Unknown said...

Nice! You're way too modest, by the way. I have never won a race (I don't think) so I don't care if there were two people in your age group--that's AWESOME! Love the trophies. You've inspired me. And you should move here--it's AMAZING.

Unknown said...

oops, that's kim making these comments

Marilyn Lewis said...

Way to go Maggie! I ran my first race last year.....I thought running a 5 K at age 55 just had a nice ring to it! I didn't win or even come close but I finished and ran up the hill so I was proud of my old body. And I didn't need an oxygen tank at any point!

Emilee said...

Was that the funniest post about a race I've ever read?
Yes.
And you won?
Yes.
I wish I could withdraw my pathetic little post about the Sunburst. Maybe I'll rewrite it, copying yours word for word, except substituting Indiana for Alaska, and "completely flat" for "a looming mountain", and "I finished, but barely" for "I won." So it wouldn't be the same at all.
Congrats!

Heidi said...

What an awesome story! That is soo inspiring! I want to start running seriously once Alex gets back next year. I agree with Mary on returning for the summers after retirement - summers are soo beautiful here! :)

KT said...

Way to go Mags! I love the way you write, I could totally picture you passing all the old people and them encouraging you! Not only that Mom bringing home two trophies must have been a big hit with your kids! They must think you were absolutely amazing! Way to GO!

Angie said...

Woo hoo! Nice work Mags! But what the hay...two trophies and no t-shirt? O'well..just makes for more laundry anyway. Way to go!

Scott and Haley said...

I wish I was there to run along side you. Maybe next summer..... My races were never as exciting as you made yours out to be!!

Travis and Jamie said...

Go Maggie!! I'm impressed. I would have lost, for SURE!!!

Eardley Fam said...

Haha! What a great story-and storyteller! I am sure your kids are soo proud.

Haven said...

Maggie, some people were meant for blogging. I love you.

Jessie said...

Way to go! Can't be all bad running in the mountains, at least you have something to look at!

Kritta22 said...

AYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

COngrats to you!!!!!!

LOL I agree with the old people part. I'm getting there! :)

Heather Mills said...

YAY MAGGIE! You crack me up! Wish I could have been there to cheer you on!

Nicole said...

You have the best adventures EVER! It toally makes me want to move to Alaska and it it weren't for all that cold I might...

Congratulations Babe! That is stinking hysterical AND awesome!

Mychel said...

You make me want to cry. I love that you just do things like that all by your self. I try to be as daring to run any race with or with out oxygen tanks. Those trophie better be on a table where all can see them when they come to your house.

Nicole said...

Loved this post Mags!! I think you're totally too modest, because to win a race that's halfway uphill...that takes some serious talent. Someday, I think your running trophy will look fabulous next to a Newberry winning book, or for that matter, a Pulitzer Prize. :)

Shannon said...

Oh my gosh! Awesome Maggie. Good job!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...