Wednesday, May 19, 2010

burning question of the week

it's summer reading season!! time to vacay and read at the beach or while your camping, or herding cats, i mean kids, to various parks and hikes and other errands. so the burning question is this: what is the best, the best, book you've ever read? i mean numero uno! my time here in alaska will end soon, and i'm gonna need a few good books to get me through the 10 day road trip through canada and the u.s. (although british columbia is so beautiful there will be no time for reading. only staring and sighing at beautiful country) so keep 'em coming! Here are a few of mine:

Richard Peck is one of my favorite authors of all time (2nd only to Roald Dahl) technically these are two books, but the both of them together make a wonderful story. it's the story i wish i could write. it's beautiful. but it's not my favorite.
I love robert kirby. he's a rebel and he is irreverent, and lots of times he's wrong, but he hits the nail right on the head with this wonderful story of love. it's not mushy and filled with cheesy one liners, it's about real love, in it's many forms and also about an 11 year old girl who swears alot. it's hysterical. i've read it three times. but it's not my favorite.

this is:

for so many reasons. 1. i've read it at least 5 times, maybe more. 2. i cry, i laugh, i yearn for fried chicken and coconut cake, 3. i swear i can hear miss effie belle and her wart coming. the characterization is that good 4. and i love the voice of a coming of age kid. ( i used to wish i was a boy, this book was at fault.) everyone has that coming of age moment. when you finally shake yourself of childhood restraints and make your choice. it's that moment when you look down a path to see "where it bent in the undergrowth," (thank you robert frost) and you know where it is you are going. and it's scary but your free and the air is suddenly full of wonderful, and possiblity. if you haven't read it. i obviously recommend.

you can thank my good buddy mary for reminding me about the burning question! i totally forgot about it!

oh it's so hard to choose: eeny meeny miney mo.......

11 comments:

Aundrea said...

"Cold Sassy Tree" is my favorite book ever! I also loved the Peck books. You should read "Each Little Bird That Sings" by Deborah Wiles, reminds me a little of Cold Sassy...both made me wanna try peanuts in my Coke:) Enjoy your trip! Where are you landing for good??

Bev said...

I can't choose a favorite, but I'm reading The Far Pavillions, by M.M. Kaye, and I really like it!

Mary Monster Mary said...

I'm so glad the burning question is back! You know that I love "Gone With the Wind" Mainly because it was what I read that got me to love reading.

I have a hard time picking favorites of books but I also loved all the Maya Angelou autobiography books and her poetry. She was my hero for a while.

I would recommend some fun mystery reading, the Maisie Dobbs series by Jaqueline Winspear.

I should go to my good reads to see what I've rated books of recent cause of course I can't think of anything right now.

Oh wait I did just read a book called "Remarkable Creatures" that I really enjoyed. It's historical fiction and I was going to do it for book club but thought it might be too new. Didn't want to make it hard to get a hold of.

april said...

I just read These is my Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine 1881-1901 by Nancy E Turner. So good! One of my new favorites!!

Roald Dahl is one of my all time favorites as well and A Year Down Yonder and A Long Way from Chicago are really good too! I am also a Dark Angel fan. Annelisa introduced me to that book!

I have yet to read Cold Sassy Tree but it is on my list of to reads!

Emilee said...

To Kill a Mockingbird is my all-time favorite book, but it's everybody's favorite book, so I feel so boring talking about it.

I love Leif Enger's "Peace Like a River".

I love "The Princess Bride" by William Goldman. (But you knew that. Don't you think it's even better than the movie? And that's saying something.)

I love "Everything on a Waffle" and "The Canning Season" by Polly Horvath. They are hysterically funny.

I love "The Book Thief." Love it.

Speaking of M. M. Kaye (Bev), my favorite children's fairy tale of all time is "The Ordinary Princess." Just finished reading it for the first time to my girls. Amazing. (But, to be honest, I HATED "The Far Pavilions." Hated it.)

I love all the Mary Stewart books, especially the ones set in Greece. ("This Rough Magic", "The Moon-Spinners", "Madam, Will You Talk?") All the heroines throw on a fresh frock and solve mysteries and fall in love while they travel.

I saw someone reading "Cold Sassy Tree" on deck on our cruise, and I immediately thought of you, Mags. It was awesome.

Emilee said...

Oh! And I forgot about "Hunger Games" and the second one in that series. So exciting! (But they're not really my favorites. Just my recommendations. So, I guess maybe I didn't answer your question?)

Emilee said...

Did you actually think I could answer that burning question without writing a novel myself? Absolutely impossible.

LauschHouse said...

I don't really have a favorite, I like so many books, but i look forward to someday picking up a book written by on Maggie Judi and having it become my numero uno!!:)

Logan said...

A few of my favorites:

East of Eden by John Steinbeck. Thick book, classic. So good. The first 30 pages are a little slow, but after that, it soars. I LOVED the ending.

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess. This one is weird, creepy, and slightly disturbing. I was captivated by the style of writing. It was almost like reading a completely different language. I could not stop thinking about this book for weeks after finishing it. (I recognize this book is NOT for everyone, so beware.)

Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli. This is a kid's book, but is one of my favorites. It's just flat out GOOD.

Happy reading! I'll have to pick up Cold Sassy Tree (although it sounds like kind of a girly book...)

Marilyn Lewis said...

I got some great ideas for books I want to read from this post and the comments. I love Cold Sassy Tree too. It reminds me a bit of Lonoke when I was growing up. I enjoyed Far Pavilions. IN fact I'm planning to reread it before the fall when we go to India. The Hunger Games books are wonderful too. I didn't think I'd like them but I am so excited for #3 to come out this summer! Thanks for this post and thanks to all your friends for their comments with their favorite books. I'm reading the Forgotten Garden right now and enjoying it very much.

Angie said...

Okay. Wow. I really don't read enough. I have never even heard of some of these books. Okay most. I really do love to read but have a really hard time finding TIME. Any suggestions? Thanks for the burning question..you have sparked my desire again and I am making a list of all these good reads. Summer, here I come! Hey..where are ya going?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...