Thursday, June 26, 2008

Midnight



Just kidding. These pictures of our Moose visitor were actually taken at about 11:30, but you get the idea. Because of earth's rotation the summer months up here are pretty much never dark. Sunset was 11:41 on june 21st, and now it starts getting darker sooner, sunset tonight is somewhere around 11:29 or so. To answer some questions, Yes, it is hard making my kids go to bed, and making them actually fall asleep. It looks like 4 o'clock in the afternoon when we send them up to bed at around 9 ish. Also don't even think about sleeping in, at 7 when I usually get up the sun is almost at its zenith. But with months of darkness coming on, I am actually really really enjoying it!

9 comments:

KT said...

I was there during summer solstice when I went and worked in the fish factory in South Naknek Alaska. I am still so amazed you are soooo far away and in such a different environment and climate!

Strupp Family said...

How cool--it looks beautiful there, and you have moose visitors and everything. I was thinking how hard that would be with the kids schedule. One day we'll come visit you :)

Jessie said...

Absolutely crazy! And I thought it was hard having it light till 10pm. My kids are up way later than I would like them to be. It must be fun for your kids to be able to see all of those different animals that close up!

Story Family said...

THAT IS SO COOL!! At first glance I thought that must have been one of those strange moose statues. A big perk of living in Alaska I guess. Pretty neat.

Kritta22 said...

I hear ya chica! Live it up while we can...I seriously think it goes away faster than it comes...so not fair!

Travis and Jamie said...

UH!! I thought that it was bad that the sun was at full rise by 5:30 am. Xander thinks every morning that 5:30 is a perfect time to be up. I can't even imagine how crazy it would be to have that much day light, or night.

Jenny said...

I love the pictures! I've always wondered what it looked like at night. And I love your moose friend!

Melinda said...

You won't have to go to the zoo anymore...just have the kids look out the windows! How fun (although I don't think I'd want to be out in my yard when that big guy came strolling through!)

tris said...

hey mags,

haley and I were just talking about how relaxing it is to run late at night...oh the college days...and you actually can still do it. We'll have to try it when I come up. I am at Bill and Louise's house for the next two weeks and seriously it took me 20 minutes to type this message so you might not hear from me for awhile...but I'll call I promise.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...