Wednesday, February 23, 2011

sweets, than ain't too sweet.


so i'm sugar fasting. not completely mind you. i'm gonna eat jam and drink juice and such. just no chocolate, or cake, or cookies, dessert basically. once i start i just can't stop and before i know it i'm horkin down left over cake for breakfast. but i still need something a little sweet to keep me going. here's my go to "healthy but isn't gross" snack courtesy of my good friend Mykel.
Also my sister in law Jenny is the most awesomest of cooks. she has a blog were she shares her menus for the week and lots of really great recipes. she just posted one with homemade tortilla chips (only 100 cal.) and 3 different homemade salsas. you can click here to see all the healthy eats jenny's cookin' up. eating good can be so grubbin'
enjoy!



1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup maple syrup ( I use Agava Nectar)
1 c. brown sugar ( i use 3/4 c.)
6 cups oats
1 cup chopped almonds ( i use the mixed nuts from costco - brazil nuts ew.)
1 cup pecans ( I use pumpkin seeds)
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut ( I put more cause I like coconut)
1 cup dried blueberries (find em at costco)
1 cup dried cranberries
( I add also 1/2 to 1 cup chopped pineapple)
(also I add 1/4-1/2 cup of flax or wheat germ sometimes both)
Place oven racks in two center positions. Preheat oven to 350. Spray two jelly roll pans with cooking oil spray. Set aside.
In medium bowl, combine oil, syrup, and brown sugar. Microwave uncovered for 3 minutes and whisk until any lumps disappear.
In a large bowl combine dry ingredients. ( I don't add the fruit until after its done cooking because they get all chewy and gross if they cook so just leave them out for now)
Toss to mix well. Pour syrup mixture over dry mixture and stir well until well mixed. Spread evenly onto jelly roll pans.
Place both pans in oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove pans from oven atir granola, then place back in the oven rotating to the opposite rack. Bake 8 minutes more before removing from oven. ( I put both pans back in a large bowl and add the fruit. Mix really well. ) Cool to room temperature. Stir again. Store in airtight container up to one month. makes about 4 quarts
( I added all my modifications but whatever you do don't cook your berries. I did once and I ended up throwing it out, WASTEFUL. )

1 comment:

Mary Monster Mary said...

I just made some granola today too but I'm not sugar fasting, though I should. Mike and I went to the Paris cafe recently, you remember where we had our little farewell dinner. I couldn't help but think of all the fun friends I've had here in Ak. I miss you all.

I've had Mychel's delicous granola before and it's awesome. Mine isn't as fancy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...