Tuesday, February 24, 2009

projects that have been 8 years in the making

so here's some stuff i've made. i believe in making the accessories in my home, cause it's pieces of me, of us, and that makes it all cozy and homey and stuff.....and gives me something to do.
here 'tis.
i've been finding lots of old books at thrift stores and garage sales, i'm a book junky. so i decided to punch some holes in the cover, tie some ribbon and hang it on the wall. i've got this awesome memory of my dad reading " the star bellied sneatches" to me as a kid, so dr. suess leaves me feeling all warm and snuggly. as a result i needed him on the wall in the nursery.
had some cute scrapbook paper, some flower stamps, and lots a cute buttons on hand so i bought some canvas (love canvas, as you will see) and glued 'em on for a little garden art in my girls room.

my fave children's book illustrator and author is david shannon. "duck on a bike" is a must read and my copy was falling apart, so to save this fabulous art, i just did a little cut and paste onto canvas and there you have it, more book art for the book themed nursery.

This alphabet banner completes the babies' room. the poem interspersing the abc's says: "richer than i you could never be, i had a mother who read to me."


little judi boy #2 is a sports nut!! so i painted this sort of up-close, graphic looking version of his favorite sports. my artistic talents do not extend into realistic looking paintings, graphics are easier. it's totally bragging i know but i love those three chunks 'o canvas.



12 comments:

Kritta22 said...

Oh my word! You painted those! I totally thought they were bought...no joke!

Your house is wonderful! Thank you for having us over tonight! It was seriously just great! Your house is just comfy and all things nice.

Are you still going to be my friend even though I don't like Princess Bride? When I said that, you could have heard a pin drop!! LOL Maybe I should keep that a guarded secret!

prism said...

Nice job, Mags! I'm glad to see the creative juices flowing.

Jenny said...

Maggie -- i need to copy those! I especially love the flowers and Jack would die for the sports pictures! Where do you get the canvas? I'm feeling a little crafty now. What kind of paint did you use for the balls?

I hope someday soon I can come to your house -- it always inspires me to be crafty. Love ya!

Mary Monster Mary said...

YOu are oh so creative. I love them all. I wish I hadn't lost that site that had the cute fabric flower garland so I could send it to you. It really was cute.

brittany said...

way to go girl!! They are all so cute! Cant wait for you to get a hold on my house!! haha

Nicole said...

I so envey your decorating abilities.

Story Family said...

I LOVE canvas, too. I love the way it adds a little dimension to the wall. My favorite is that ode to David Shannon. They are classics at our house as well. Alice the Fairy is my fave! I loved how you collaged all the pictures together. Awesome idea!

Meagan said...

Um...come to my house please!! I have no idea what to do here, and it makes it worse that since we rent, and may move every time the lease is up, I have not much motivation. But your stuff looks so cute! Thanks for posting the pics, because it does help me with ideas. As soon as I find out what I'm having we're decorating the kids room.

Jami said...

I would brag too if I had that kind of talent!

Nicole said...

I love that you cut up "Duck On A Bike" and put it on canvas. Love, love, love it. :) And the sport canvas' are genius!

Emilee said...

You are amazing, Mags. So very, very impressive. I need to get me some canvas.
And you have a friend that doesn't like Princess Bride? What kind of people are you hanging out with these days?

Shannon said...

I'm totally impressed here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...