Monday, October 12, 2009

how i spent my birthday......for 10 days.

a few weeks ago mike came home one day and said, "we might be going to hawaii." it was a great segway into my lunch. we were able to go because the army sent mike to the ada convention there, thank-you dear army for paying for my trip! needless to say the ensuing 3 weeks of preparation where a whirlwind of fun. my kids got to have grandma and grandpa come stay with them, and mike and i got our first kidless vacation in the last 3.5 years.


me and mike and the polynesian cultural center, which has a 1000000% awesome show, really good food, funny entertainers, and a very expensive price tag. but you must go. just think of it as a really fun way to give to charity. profits from the center go to scholarships for students at byu-hawaii. may i just say that La'ie is the prettiest town in all of Oahu.
samoan coconut tree climber, he was so fast.
we spent most of our time on the beach, but didn't take pictures, cause our camera would've been stolen ya know. we rented snorkel gear and hit the north shore and east shore for lots of good snorkel time. three tables, and hanauma bay where highlights. i am converted to snorkeling as my main source of vacation activities from here on out. here we are near the blow hole on the east shore. "the sea was angry that day my friends." (bonus points for whoever can tell me where that quote comes from)
one of our strategies was to eat our free breakfast at the hotel, a candy bar for lunch and for dinner we ate whatever, wherever we wanted. the best things i ate? shave ice from aoki's in hale 'iwa, ku'aina burger's roast beef sandwich with cheese and chile peppers, and kona's kaluha pork borrito, both in hale 'iwa. also there was a cheese cake factory in waikiki where we had lunch. the food was fabulous, a couple of times we skipped breakfast and ate these delicious donuts called malasadas from leonards bakery. puffy mounds of fried dough rolled in cinnamon sugar and stuffed with a creamy custard that had just a hint of coconut. heavenly. you can tell how liberally they sugar over there by mike's lips.
spent a day at pearl harbor. here is a pic of the oil that is still leaking from the sunken arizona. i used to think that was a myth. the memorial grounds were filled with old men who i was sure had returned to this place to see how it had changed, and also the things that where still the same.
mike at the memorial, they have these amazing trees that have these herculian branches that hold thier own weight and stretch for miles! we planned to collect some seeds to plant at our future home, but forgot.
aren't i a proper gun maiden.
the temple at la'ie, didn't i tell you it was gorgeous?

i just have to say thanks to the hubs, it was awesome and beautiful and relaxing and fun. and i will be dreaming about sand and sun for many months to come.

ps heather and jerrel i need you to post pictures of us so i can steal them.

pps. mom and dad, we never could've done it without you, next time it's your turn.

17 comments:

Team Burtenshaw said...

So awesome! ...what a lunch eh? Great pics and happy to hear about the fun time you had together, and that the grandparents were able to help out. It makes my heart happy. ...Happy Birthday - why not celebrate for 10days?!

Meagan said...

Well, happy birthday is right. I am so happy for you and maybe just a little envious. It looks like you guys had a ton of fun!

Adri said...

Looks so, so fun. And your pics reminded me of our honeymoon in t he same place. Oh, how I long to go back!

The Boyle Family Press said...

George Costanza

Strupp Family said...

Ugh. You guys are such jerks. don't you know that vacations in Hawaii are much funner when the Strupps (who have never been there, by the way) are with you? These are the times you are supposed to call us and see if we want to meet you in Hawaii...just so you know for next time.
(And I hope you know I don't really think you're jerks :) )

Story Family said...

Oh, how my heart doth pine!! And I really do need a Leonard's Malasada. Whoever Leonard is, I am thankful for his red and white van and creamy, coconutty custard.

What a riot! But did you find a MiracleSuit? (Not that you need it in the least....just putting it on my list of Hawaii things I need...)

Logan said...

Happy birthday, indeed! Love the Seinfeld quote, too. That is one of the best episodes ever.

Jessie said...

I wish I could celebrate my birthday for 10 days! Maybe in a few more years! Looks like you had a lot of fun!

Marilyn Lewis said...

I was worried that you weren't posting because the kids were sick! I'm so glad that you weren't posting because you were in Hawaii! Looks like a perfect vacation!

Nicole said...

Wow Maggie!! What an amazing birthday gift...how in the world is Mike going to top that one next year? I'm so glad you two had a good time and enjoyed 10 days of bliss without the kids. You both deserve it!

Strupp Family said...

I told Trevor when he got home yesterday that you guys went to Hawaii--and he said it was for the ADA meeting. I'm sure we WOULD have gone if we were on the army's dime, but alas, we are not :) So now he keeps these meetings a secret from me. Still, we should go on a cruise or something, right? They always have those CE cruises. Let's find one.

Travis and Jamie said...

Looks like fun! We had planned to go over the past week as well to celebrate our tenth anniversary, but then I decided that Hawaii wouldn't be any fun preggo.

LauschHouse said...

Soooooo, jealous!!! You should have come to see me instead....true you only would have seen a few bazillion pine trees and rain, but hey they don't have anything like that in Alaska....ha ha!!

Heather Mills said...

I told Jerrel that he can be stationed in Hawaii. Its allowed. We had a blast and I am SO glad that we got to see you guys! We just have a special place in our hearts for the Judi's and I'm glad that we got to reconnect.
I'm so overwhelmed by blogging. We have a million pictures and I don't want to take the time to edit. Check this weekend...I will probably do it Sat or Sun!

Angie said...

Oh how fun, Mags. You are now the third person I know who has been to Hawaii in the past 3 weeks! Quinn and I soooo have the itch to go, we were actually thinking about going in November, but are now thinking of waiting till January, so we probably won't go until 2011. You have inspired me though. Vacationing with your significant other child-free, is one of the best ways to spend money! Glad you had fun!

Erin said...

Aaaaahhhh, isn't Hawaii the greatest! I loved reading about your trip becuase I have been to all those wonderful places and it also made me sad wishing I was there again. You should have given Steve and Amber a ring, they are locals you know. Good times. Glad you had a fun trip.

Emilee said...

Awesome! You lucky dog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...