Sunday, December 13, 2009

in defense of flocking.

I've always wondered what would make people spray fake snow allover their christmas tree. living in alaska has allowed me to discover the origins. it's been foggy here for a week. we haven't had snow fall since thanksgiving. yet, i took these pictures today. the fog condenses then freezes on the branches. and everything is covered in 2 inches of frost. and there you have it. someone who once lived in the frozen north tried to recreate it with chemicals. maybe after moving to hawaii or arizona or some other sun soaked locale. it's an awesome phenomena. it's one of the things that makes life in a dark and cold alaskan winter possible. i love it.


here's our christmas tree, sans flocking. i've no need for chemical spray snow here. but next christmas when i'm staring out my window at a brown and snowless landscape, i'll probably sprint to wal-mart and buy a can.

7 comments:

Team Burtenshaw said...

I have not flocked the tree yet, but absolutely love these pics! And its true - it even seems more lovely when you live in a water forsaken desert! ... every climate has its bonuses and minuses Thanks for sharing these!

Strupp Family said...

Where, exactly, are you planning to be next Christmas? Just wondering if you've found something...

Kirsten said...

I was thinking the same thing this week. I've never seen this before, it's all so new, and white.

Mary Monster Mary said...

Oh I love it too. I also have never liked the all white christmas trees or the flocked ones. I do love the trees outside my window right now. BEAUTIFUL! Alaska is a pretty great place to be, even if it's dark and cold much of the year. There are perks. Are you guys going to do the sled dog rides for $5 this weekend? I'm excited about that too. :)

annelisa said...

I miss that!!

Jessie said...

We get that all of the time here, but it is called hoare frost. Not sure why it is named that but oh well. It is my favourite, I love how it makes the trees look!

Kritta22 said...

You are so great with your camera! Those pictures are beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...